Friday, September 5, 2014

Burlap Wreath.

I made my first Burlap Wreath this week!

And, it was so much easier than I thought it would be.


  I love the way they look, rustic and fabulous. They are simple to assemble and customize. So, I made one for my sister-in-law, as a birthday gift. After looking around on Pinterest for ideas, I headed to the store for supplies, then got to work.



What I needed:

  • 5 in x 10 yd burlap x 2 rolls
  • 18 in. metal wreath hoop
  • 5 in x 5 yd of dyed burlap
  • several short pieces of pipe cleaner
  • wooden letter & acrylic paint
  • hot glue gun & plenty of glue



  First, I painted the letter teal. I didn't like the color, so I repainted it black, then settled on beige.


  Next, I began making the wreath. I started by anchoring the end of the burlap to the front of the hoop, with a small piece of pipe cleaner.
  I would describe making the wreath as weaving. I wove the burlap into loops from underneath about 3 inches upward into the inner ring, then the middle ring, and then the outer ring. And, repeated the process, working my way around. I fluffed up the burlap loops as I went, to give the wreath a full, even look. The first roll of burlap went a little more than half way around the ring. I secured the end of the burlap to the hoop with another piece of pipe cleaner.

I wove up 6 loops of burlap on the hoop between each cross piece of metal.
You could weave even more loops upward to create a more voluminous wreath.



An example of the loops of burlap, coming up
from underneath the hoop.















  After I went all the way around the hoop, I tied the end down with a piece of pipe cleaner. There was about 1 1/2 yards of burlap left over.

This is the basic burlap wreath.

  Then, I added some dyed burlap to the front of the wreath. I attached the dyed burlap to the center of the metal hoop every 3 to 4 inches, all the way around.

Fastening the dyed burlap to the metal hoop
with pipe cleaner.


   Using the left over pieces of burlap, I created two bows for decoration. First a burlap one, then a slightly smaller one made from the dyed burlap.










 The photo on the left is the best example I have of how I made my bows. I laid the burlap just like that dyed burlap, and squeezed the center together with a piece of pipe cleaner.








 For more information about making bows like
these, lots of great tutorials can be found on 
Pinterest.





  I placed the dyed burlap bow on top of the burlap bow, and wrapped a small piece of the dyed burlap around both, securing it with piece of pipe cleaner. I finished the bows off by giving the tails angled "v" cuts.









  Lastly, I hot glued both the finished bow and the letter 'G' to the wreath. I used a LOT of hot glue to keep them in place.


And, that's it.
I spent the better part of an afternoon working on this wreath.
A labor of love!



Burlap wreaths are so delightful and versatile. I'll be making one for myself next!

No comments:

Post a Comment